About the Library
Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.
The Mondamin Library was first established on April 28, 1934 as a community library by the Federated Woman’s Club. User cards cost .25 for adults and .10 for children, allowing them to check out one book for a two week period, per year. Books were supplied by a “traveling library” and donations. In 1937 the community library became the Mondamin Public Library. It was then a “free” lending library supported by a city tax levy.
The library was located in various buildings: Behm Building, Teddy Schmidt House, Herb Goodman Store, Wallis Building, Spooner House, Inez Wallace House, Mondamin School, City Hall and finally its present location – 201 Maple Street. In 1956 the library was moved to the Mondamin School due to flooding. It returned to its location at City Hall in 1956. The majority of years it shared space in the City Hall on Maple Street with the city offices until 1977 when a new building was built for the library alone. This building was funded by a $15000 matching fund grant from the Kenny-Lindstrom Foundation and built on a lot donated by Frank Maule of Mondamin. Many persons volunteered time and talent in building the new structure. It opened at the new location on May 15, 1977. The interior of the building was updated in 2002 with new carpet, paint and shelving partially through the support of Mondamin resident Jim King.
Through the years several persons filled the position of Library Director. Lida Proebsting,1934-1971, Loretta Beck, 1971-1976, Eunice Blackwell, 1976-1981, Naomi Muxfeldt, 1981-1998, Joyce McClannahan, 1998-2003, Susan Maule, 2003-2013, Michelle Bertalson 2013-2014, Susan Hardy 2014-2016, and Christine Hussing from 2016- current.
In 2003, technology was introduced to the library. Two public access computers and a printer were received from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. These computers were in high demand from the community and later another public computer was added. By the year 2005 library holdings were transferred to the computer and an automated catalog system with help from dedicated volunteer Dione Blair Norris of Mondamin. The library added a DVD collection as well as Audiobooks on CDs. Also a Wii game system was made available and the two restrooms were converted into one handicap accessible restroom. Most of these improvements and more were made possible through the Harrison County Community Funds grant program and also the generosity of Jim King.
Presently the library collection contains 10,500 books, 820 DVDs, 260 audio books and is enrolled in BRIDGES E-book consortium to provide electronic books to patrons. Current programming includes a Summer Reading Program and a book club. Services include Wi-Fi and internet access, interlibrary loan, copy and fax machine, Missouri Valley Times-News and test mentoring. We also host a conversational Spanish hour for the high school Spanish class